Thursday, February 12, 2009


Have you ever seen a cat play with a mouse it's caught? Well, I guess eagles do that too! While taking photos as the Farmington Bay Water Fowl Managment area I observed an eagle catch a fish from the open water you see in the background. It then walked a few feet toward me and laid it on the ice and then walked a short distance away from the fish. It was almost as if it was daring anyone (or anything) to take the fish. Sure enough, another eagle was up to the challenge. As you can see, there ensued quite a squabble. The eagle that caught the fish won! After the the aspiring "thief" flew away, the defender again walked away from the fish. I never did see him eat it.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Amy said...

Nice! A new post from uncle Richard! We missed you in the blogging world! These photos are amazing. What a once in a lifetime chance to see these birds in such a display. You have such a great talent! Please keep the photos coming!

Joan said...

Uncle Richard, this really fascinated me. It's fun to see 1 eagle...but 3 at once and interacting with each other, well that's just amazing. I guess even eagles have distinct personalities.